Thursday, October 1, 2015

Doodles for Days

I used to draw all the time. What ever happened? When I was little I had an obsession with drawing rocket cars and spaceships, so much so that I'm sure one of those drawings held the secret to perfect aerodynamics. That's how much I drew them. My grandpa eventually gave me a book that was all about the different aircraft in the Air Force and I loved it. I could draw a mean F-22! Then I moved on to video game and comic book characters. I vividly remember drawing a character from Final Fantasy 9, one of my favorite games of all time. It was the first picture that I can remember that I looked at when it was done and just thought, "holy crap, that looks really good!". Ironically, if memory serves me right, it was shortly after that that I went on a drawing drought, and for a while too. I'm going to just blame it on using all of my drawing juice on the Final Fantasy picture.

One night, many years later, when I was a Junior in high school, I decided I was going to draw the Master Chief from the Halo game. Halo 3 to be specific. I've never been very good at drawing from memory and thought alone, but have always been able to look at something and draw it with ease. I had a Halo 3 shirt that I pulled out and laid on the table, plopped down with my mechanical pencil and drawing book and off I went. I couldn't believe I was doing as well as I was with so much time passed since I last truly drew. I finished the drawing fairly quick and it led to me doing a couple other really good pictures. Yet again though, it seems I've reached another drought. Hopefully I'm close to the end of it.
This is the Halo 3 drawing from my Junior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment